27.8.13

In My Heart of Hearts I Do Trust. ... No thanks to Ali and Kelly.

Once upon a time, I said something like, "In my heart of hearts, ... (I can't remember the rest)." Kelly and Ali made fun of me for that, but I thought it was a perfectly legitimate and common phrase. Apparently it was campy and cliché.

Maybe Ali and Kelly thought I was silly or foolish for using that phrase (I think I just sounded like an old emotional lady).  BUT I discovered today that the phrase comes from one of a larger repute than I--and he is not an old emotional lady!

 Shakespeare.
Act 3, Scene 2 of Hamlet:
"In my heart's core, ay, in my heart of heart, as I do thee." 

So yeah, it might be outdated, but if that's the case-- so are "all of a sudden," "dead as a doornail," "fight fire with fire," and "wear my heart on my sleeve." Plus, some of those are pretty campy and cliché, too. So, there. 

Love,
Mariah

No comments:

Post a Comment