31.5.11

What a DAY

Today our school held their Service Day. It was so fun! I got to go to a local elementary school (walked there) to help with their Field Day, which is when the kids get to go to different stations outside to play some pretty awesome games. I loved to help with the parachute and the kickball. Not to mention, some of the young men were so cute with the kids! *Instant man points!*

I got to help Marilu, who was the most awesome girl ever. She has down syndrome, but that just made her even more awesome. She liked to pretend to feed me food. I liked it when she made me an icecream cone. I made sure to ask for sprinkles. :) She was hard sometimes to keep on track or to make sure she had fun, but she was so friendly, and I LOVED it when she was having fun. Her face would light up with joy and she would smile the cutest, cutest smile.

I enjoyed watching how the other kids interacted with her. Sometimes they’d see her, and I could see the momentary flicker of, “She is different from me. I am not sure if I like different.” But then other times I would see them wanting to hold her hand, or involve her in the game. One little girl would give her the beach ball over and over when we were playing volleyball—and she was on the OTHER team! How sweet. I made sure to praise her, which I think she enjoyed.

I got DRENCHED by the cutest little boy when we played Drip Drip Drench. I got to talk to him a little later, and he said to me, “YOU are the coolest High School!” He told me twice! ^_^

After that I ate pizza with my class, and proceeded to walk home.

 

I got to rest a bit, then went to visit some ladies in my ward. I felt very blessed to see the fruits of my friends and my labors. I thought they enjoyed our visits, but they told us this time, and I was so grateful we went. I felt sore tempted not to. But I did. I kept feeling promptings to go.

Then I talked to a friend I hadn’t seen for a while, and what a hard worker she is! I was impressed. She’s doing all kinds of yard work I never dreamed of.

After all that I went to visit another lady with my pal and we had a very swell time.

So then I walked my friend home, and started to walk back.

I thought as I walked how great it was to be a force for good in the world. It felt so good to make a difference in some lives. I LOVE IT!  ^_^ I was walking on sunshine.

That is when I thought of Miranda (I named her a different name for her privacy, fools), a less-active girl in our ward. I thought of how I had volunteered to call and see if she wanted to come to Mutual. I had a sunny feeling I should go see her, and invite her to come to Mutual. My yard work friend and I had even been talking about it earlier, and she really helped motivate me.

So I started to walk to her house. I wasn’t even sure which one it was, but I thought I knew. So I knocked, and it WAS her home! I invited her, and I think she is really nice. I’m going to call and follow up tomorrow. I am glad I heeded the prompting of the Spirit. :D

In all I walked 5.62 miles today (yes, I calculated it).

And I have made many new friends.

Love,

Mariah

P.S. BUT MAN, am I beat!

No comments:

Post a Comment